Skip to main content

Handling the ProE resolve Mode




Resolve Mode. Its every ProE users nightmare!
I hope to bring some relief for all those woos.

If you have been using ProE for sometime, then you don't need any introduction on this topic. I thought I would introduce you to the options that may not be frequently used.  Its rarely used, but is very useful.



The ProE goes to resolve mode, when it cannot locate a reference during regeneration.


As you can see, there are 4 main options. Undo Changes, Investigate, Fix Model and Quick Fix. The commonly used options are 1 and 4.


UNDO CHANGES :
If UNDO is available, the instinct is to do that first, see what happened and probably make a save.

INVESTIGATE, FIX MODEL
I will come to it later

QUICK FIX:
We all like quick fixes everywhere :) here also.


REDEFINE -> Redefines the failed feature. Simple issues could be solved with this.
REROUTE -> You can go into the REROUTE mode and select different references for the missing ones, if any. More on reroute, see my other post.

SUPPRESS -> Suppresses the feature and its children.
CLIP SUPPRESS -> Suppress all the features in the model tree that comes after this one.
DELETE -> Deletes the feature and its children

Before going into the next two options, there is another setting that will help us.
Go into the TOOLS -> Environment.
Select the option for creating model backups as shown in the picture.


Now we are ready for the next two options.

INVESTIGATE:
Here you can clearly see why it has failed. Main options are...

* You can see the list of changes from the last regen.
* You can see the References of the failed feature. And probably which are the references that are missing.
* Click BACKUP MODL and select SHOW REF and you can see the feature references before it failed. This really helps.

FIX MODEL:
This also is powerful, but can be misleading sometimes.


You can use all the options that you see like FEATURE, MODIFY etc like the Pre-WF way. But I like to show couple of things.

Note you can see the backup model as well to see its values, shape etc..

Option to note here is the RESTORE.


Click RESTORE and ProE will ask you to revert ALL CHANGES or changes in DIMENSIONS (you can select from a list) or PARAMETERS… Make your selection

Or if you know the modification that you want to make, click MODIFY and click the feature and Modify the Dimension, say for eg.

Anyway, you make the changes that you think will avoid the error.
NOW, the important part. Select CURRENT MODEL and select REGENERATE.


My boss would say, you model in such a way that it never fails!! But practically speaking, resolve mode is almost unavoidable in ProE. Good modelling practices (like taking references carefully) will help reducing it, but cant prevent it when the model is not simple. So that's it.. Hope next time you go into resolve mode with more confidence!

So how do you feel.. try out yourself if you have not used these yet.. I really appreciate the comments from you.. I would like to hear from you.. the postings are for you :) thanks..


This is my birthday gift to you all!!






Comments

Unknown said…
This would be helpful for the beginners of Pro/E.
Good presentation.
I would like freeze option. Whats your opinion?
Kindly regards,
Joe said…
Fix option is not always easy but I too prefer to go that way if possible...
Wow,thanks to your kindness for reply my comment Joe...
Is it possible for me to have your email account so we could discuss bout Pro E? Actually I have a lot of question in my mind bout Pro E. Wish U wanna help me.
Actually Im new employee here, never use Pro E before but my company use it. I really hope we could discuss more. Im Indonesian. Sorry for my poor english. :)

Popular posts from this blog

TreeView Structure in Excel VBA

TreeView is extreamly useful in specific cases but it can be bit tricky sometimes to implement.  Last Few days I was working on a TreeView Structure and thought I will share the knowledge I gained...  This post takes you through the basic operations to create and operate a TreeView. It will be like the Folder tree window of the windows explorer.  Moreover, you can have it dynamically updated based on the data in excel.... Here we go..

Controlling LED through Octolapse for 3D print timelapse

Today's post is about one of the 3D Printing adaptation that I learned. This is specifically about how to control an LED light automatically through OctoLapse so that it is switched on only when the timelapse photo is taken. Just as a background, I have been learning to use 3D printer and its customizations options for a few months now and was a lot of learning since then. The best thing was OctoPi, a platform for controlling the 3D printer and the many plugin options that are developed by the community.  Most of them are like open source. Today we will discuss specifically about an adaptation to one such plugin, OctoLapse. OctoLapse is the plugin for taking timelapse photos, with many options for further customisations. One of the best timelapse method is taking photo after each layer is complete, by moving the head out of the way. You can use standard Pi Camera or a DSLR, which is great to get good resolution videos. One small flash back before we dive into the topic.  I keep the

PTC Creo | my Mapkeys for free

I have created a list of frequently used mapkey shortcuts for the PTC Pro Engineer Creo. This is the macro equivalent in creo.  I am copying them below.If you need them, copy paste the content to the "config.pro" file in your startup folder. My favourites are highlited and greatly improves the workflow.. For ex, to reach MEASURE. need to go to another menu and click.  Instead, maypkey from any selected menu on the ribbon will work.. Thats wonderful to me... Also, Edit Sketch (ES) is overloaded and will work for Extrusion, Revelution, Sweep etc.. So is aa, pp, zz..  really helps me a lot.. Hope you will start using them as well and get benefited! Let me know in comments, your feedback and issues.... Sketch View           > sv Show and Erase        > se Working Directory     > wd Hiddel Line View      > hi Close (quit) Window   > qw Measure               > mm Erase Session         > ee Insert Mode @ Sel     > is Cancel Insert Mode    > ic edit Sketch